Monday 3 June 2019

Love Is Worth the Risk

It's my current life lesson, amplified by everything I come in contact with. Love is worth the risk. It comes out in Live Without You by Sarah Grace Grzy, The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare, the sermon I heard on Sabbath, everywhere.

I really don't like taking risks. They bring out the fear in me; I might get hurt, I might embarrass myself, I might not be valued, I might be rejected, I might be let down, I might look like a fool, I might be separated from someone I love. I get scared of loving.

Once I heard about a friend who was fearing their Dad was about to die. Instantly my heart broke for them. I thought it was too much, and I said I don't want to feel anymore. There is too much pain. But I realized that if I didn't feel pain, I wouldn't feel love. And how selfish, I wouldn't be able to show love and sympathy to others.

I've decided that love is worth the risk. Someone named Jesus risked everything for love. He was hurt, ridiculed, unvalued, rejected, thought foolish and separated from God who loved Him and whom He loved too. Yet love was worth it to Him.

The special thing about love is it leads to forgiveness. Love doesn't hold on to hurt. It just keeps on loving. Love leads to trust in God because He loves me so much I can trust Him with my life. Love leads to thankfulness instead of fear. I can thank God for the people and gifts in my life rather than worrying about losing them.

To truly love I have to put away all I hold on to, my fear, my reputation, my plans and dreams and follow only love, which is God Himself! (1 John 4:8) God has called me to love. Love saves. Love brings healing, restoration. I can't begin to say all that love does, it passes knowledge (Ephesians 3:19).

*****

If you knew your brother would die, would you have chosen to not have a brother at all?

The thought came out of nowhere and struck her like a physical blow. Would she have? She searched her heart and the answer she found there was emphatic. 

No. 

Love was worth the risk...
Live Without You p1680


"He did not give you vengeance. He gave you love. There is no greater love than this that a man should lay down his life for his friend. Think, Danel, can you repay such love with hate?"

"It's too late to love Samson. He is probably dead". Then as Jesus waited, "Should I love the Romans who killed him?" he asked with bitterness. 

Jesus smiled. "You think that is impossible, don't you? Can't you see, Daniel, it is hate that is the enemy? Not men. Hate does not die with killing. it only springs up a hundredfold. The only thing stronger than hate is love." 

The Bronze Bow p224

*****
Thanks so much for reading these thoughts that have been on my heart today. I know I haven't posted on my blog in ages and I wasn't even planning on it, but when these thoughts came I knew I had to. I pray they have been a blessing to you! xo

7 comments:

  1. Ah, Rachel, thank you so much for this post! It really spoke to me because I am not the one to be a risk taker, yet Love is so worth it! <3
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I've missed reading your posts! *hugs*

      Delete
    2. Praise God! Yes, I like to live cautiously too.
      It felt good to write something again. :)

      Delete
  2. Awe, what a good post! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Liberty! *Eagerly hugs in return* ;)

      Delete
  3. Hello im a new blogger and maybe you would like to check out my blog!

    thebiglifechange.com

    And I LOVE horses! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im orry i gave you the wrong address ^_^
    this is the right one ~ thebiglifechange.blogspot.com
    ^_^

    ReplyDelete